Saturday, February 9, 2008

I surprised myself today

Today is normally a day for those of us in our group that can get our schedules together (no small feat), to meet for a group run. The stars just didn't align for us today so I was on my own to do my (at least) 4 mile run. It was fairly nice weather here today (50's) and I decided to take my run outside. I knew I needed to eventually tackle some hills - today was that day. My subdivision has some pretty big hills and several backroads. I knew the path to take to do 2.5 miles, but hadn't done 4 miles in my neighborhood before, so I kinda made it up as I went along. I ran for as long as I thought would be 4 miles.

Later today I drove the path I ran and found out I actually ran 4.6 miles. Yoohoo! I still can't believe it. I have to admit I did walk two times - once after each MAJOR hill, but I didn't walk for long and made sure I picked up the pace quickly.

I don't think I've ever run 4.6 miles before! Craziness! I have to admit - I'm pretty proud of myself. Of course, I still have quite a ways to go before I'm ready for that 1/2 marathon in April.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Shelley, that is awesome!! I am so jealous! I ran yesterday for only the second time this week. I ran 3 miles at Crockett Park by myself and I was feeling it. I worked a 40 hour work week and was gone Tues, Wed, and Thurs night. Needless to say, I was exhausted by Saturday. But, I made myself run and I am glad I did. And according to my ipod sensor, my pace was 9 min 15 sec miles which is unheard of for me. I truly wonder if that was accurate because I sure didn't feel like I was running fast!!

Crumbs said...

Shelly - there is NO shame in walking. In fact, there is a whole running movement (so to speak) that incorporates walking in order to improve speed and distance.
Google Jeff Galloway, you'll find a plethora of info on "Run/walk".